4 New Job Positions of Research Assistants at The Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund International(Deadline: July 15, 2022 at 5:00 pm CAT)
📋 Job Description Details
Employment Opportunity – Research Assistants
The Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund (DFGF) is dedicated to the conservation of gorillas and their habitats in Africa through active protection, monitoring, research, education, and helping communities together with our national and international partnerships.
To further its mission, DFGF is looking to hire four motivated and passionate research assistants to join its mountain gorilla protection, monitoring and research program within the Volcanoes National Park (VNP).
We therefore invite applications from qualified Rwandan nationals for the above-mentioned positions. This is an exciting opportunity for dynamic, early career scientists with a passion for wildlife conservation to work as part of an international science team and to gain practical and theoretical experience in preparation for a graduate or postgraduate program in ecology, conservation biology, anthropology, primatology, or other conservation-focused programs.
Primary position responsibilities are:
- Regular presence (a minimum of four days a week) in the field inside the VNP for gorilla research, monitoring, and protection. This involves living in remote field camps around the park.
- Collect behavior, demographic, ranging, and health data on mountain gorillas within (VNP). Assist in the collection of biological samples.
- Assist in the training of field personnel
- Supervise Ranger Based Monitoring (RBM) data collection done by field teams.
- Data cleaning and management.
- Assisting in reporting.
Required experience and skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in zoology or conservation biology preferred. Candidates with a bachelor’s degree in another conservation-related field may also be considered.
- Demonstrated interest in conservation biology and animal behavior.
- Good physical fitness for intensive field work.
- Demonstrated team-work spirit and ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Good computer skills, including use of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint (R, GIS or QGIS desirable).
- Ability to communicate well (oral and written) in English. French communication skills are an asset.
Successful candidates will benefit from many career-oriented advantages such as:
- Access to DFGF’s internal science capacity building program.
- Access to international research outputs.
- Interactions and exchange of experience with our team of national and international researchers, as well as collaborators with various expertise.
- Possibility of assistance for further studies on MSc level after at least 2 years of service.
This is a full-time position based at the Ellen DeGeneres Campus of the Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund and in the Volcanoes National Park. The duration of the initial contract is 12 months with a 3-month probation period.
🌐 How to Apply
The Deadline for submission of applications is July 15, 2022 at 5:00 pm CAT
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted through e-mail, not later than two weeks after the submission deadline.
Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund International
5,125 All the time, 1 To day