ASSOCIATE LEGAL OFFICER at The United Nations (Deadline: 02nd April,2022)
🏘️ About the Organization and Job Details
The United Nations is an intergovernmental organization aiming to maintain international peace and security, develop friendly relations among nations, achieve international cooperation, and be a centre for harmonizing the actions of nations. It is the world’s largest and most familiar international organization.
📋 Job Description Details
Job Position Title
ASSOCIATE LEGAL OFFICER
Job Positing Date: 04th March,2022
Job Closing Date : 02nd April,2022
Number of Job Positions
Job Duties& Tasks and Responsibilities
The incumbent will perform the following duties in relation to establishing the whereabouts of fugitives indicted by the IRMCT and other matters that fall within the IRMCT’s jurisdiction:
• Conduct legal research on international humanitarian law, comparative criminal law and procedure, evidence and policy issues;
• Conduct research and prepare strategic reports on fugitives indicted for serious violations of international humanitarian law;
• Prepare reports, memos and legal opinions for internal discussion, as requested;
• Format written briefs;
• Ensure timely filing of documents and briefs;
• Review and analyze evidence;
• Draft requests for assistance, submissions and motions;
• Conduct evidentiary searches on OTP databases and maintain appropriate logs;
• Compile and maintain any statistical reports and workload indicators as requested;
• Perform other tasks as may be assigned.
💼 Job Specification
Job Qualification Needed
• Professionalism: Knowledge of, and ability to apply, legal principles, concepts and procedures for review, examination, and processing of a range of legal documents. Sound knowledge of substantive and procedural international law and/or criminal law, particularly in the context of the ICTR and/or IRMCT. Familiarity with and experience in the use of various intelligence methodologies and sources, including electronic, telecommunications and financial sources. Knowledge of various legal research sources, including electronic/online research tools, and ability to conduct research and analyze information on a wide range of legal issues. Ability to interpret and apply legal instruments, develop and present results, recommendations, and opinions clearly and concisely. Ability to draft legal documents and work under pressure. Ability to apply good legal judgment in the context of assignments given. Experience and ability to work well in a multicultural environment. Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges. Remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• Communication – Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
• Teamwork – Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in law. A first level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
Minimum of 2 years of progressively responsible experience in criminal prosecution or international law.
Relevant experience at the IRMCT, ICTR and/or ICTY is highly desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the Mechanism. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of French would be an asset.
There may be an assessment exercise for qualified candidates followed by a competency-based interview.
The United Nations Secretariat is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance in its staff. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
The appointment is limited to the International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals. Appointment of the successful candidate on this position will be limited to the initial funding of the post. Extension of the appointment is subject to the extension of the mandate and/or the availability of funds. As the international tribunals are not integrated in the Secretariat, UN Staff Members serve on assignment or secondment from their parent department/office if selected. Appointments of staff members in the United Nations are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General. Staff Members are expected to move periodically to new functions in accordance with established rules and procedures, and may in this context be reassigned by the Secretary-General throughout the Organization based on the changing needs and mandates.
The United Nations is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. The United Nations recruits and employs staff regardless of gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religious, cultural and ethnic backgrounds or disabilities. Reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities may be provided to support participation in the recruitment process when requested and indicated in the application.
NOTE FOR PREVIOUSLY ROSTERED CANDIDATES
Roster candidates must express their interest and availability for published job openings by submitting an updated PHP and cover letter.
United Nations Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the United Nations, the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the United Nations if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term “sexual exploitation” means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term “sexual abuse” means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions. The term “sexual harassment” means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation, when such conduct interferes with work, is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment, and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator’s working relationship. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The United Nations places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
The paramount consideration in the appointment, transfer, or promotion of staff shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. By accepting an offer of appointment, United Nations staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and assignment by him or her to any activities or offices of the United Nations in accordance with staff regulation 1.2 (c). In this context, all internationally recruited staff members shall be required to move periodically to discharge new functions within or across duty stations under conditions established by the Secretary-General.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on “Manuals” hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the United Nations including the Charter of the United Nations, resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
🌐 How to Apply
Job Application Channel Accepted and any other relevant Application Info’s
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE AND APPLY
Application Deadline Provided
Please Apply for this Job not later than 02nd/ March/ 2022
- Are you an Employer ( Businesses & Entities of All kinds or Individuals ) Hiring or looking any kind of Online Applications & Registrations Services ? Career in Rwanda Ltd serve you in Job Advertisements & Recruitment Services, Every Online Services that you may need.
- Don’t you Have time to Apply or Updates and Optimize your Job Application File ( CVs &Resumes , online Job Profile Accounts , etc. ) ?, Don’t Hastate to Contact Career in Rwanda Ltd via WhatsApp and Call : +250785036816 / +250790518586 for any Kind Assistance , we help every Job Seeker to send a Professional and Well Updated ( CVs, Resumes, online Job Profile Accounts, etc. ) to the Concerned Employer!
- IF YOU ARE JOB SEEKER , GET UNLIMITTED DIRECT ONLINE JOB APPLICATION SERVICE BY REGISTERING HERE
VISIT CAREER IN RWANDA Ltd’s SERVICE PAGE AND GET QUICK ONLINE CAREERS /JOBS OR EDUCATIONAL APPLICATION ASSISTNCES , ADVERTISEMENT AND RECRUITMENT SERIVICES RIGHT NOW
49 All the time, 1 To day