DEVELOPMENT OF A NATIONAL PEST CONTROL PRODUCTS MANAGEMENT STRATEGY FOR THE RWANDAN at SNV RWANDA (Closing: 13th May,2022)
🏘️ About the Organization
Few Information About Us
📋 Consultancy Description Details
DEVELOPMENT OF A NATIONAL PEST CONTROL PRODUCTS MANAGEMENT STRATEGY FOR THE RWANDAN
TERMS OF REFERENCE
1. Background of assignment
Following a request from the Ministry of Agriculture and Animal Resources (MINAGRI) to the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands (EKN) in Kigali to support the development of a national strategy for management of pest control products in Rwanda, in 2019 an initiative was launched with preparatory activities towards the development of this National Pest Control Products (PCP) Management Strategy in Rwanda, and more particular to serve the Rwandan horticulture sector.
The first phase of this initiative has been completed, which consisted of 1) an exposure visit to the Netherlands of a Rwandan delegation of representatives from both the public and private sector, 2) the draw up of a PCP management strategy development action plan and 3) a study to analyse and assess the management of pest control products in the Rwandan horticultural sector to inform the development of the PCP management strategy.
The outcomes of the first phase will serve as input for phase two of the initiative: the actual development and write-up of the National PCP Management Strategy for Rwanda.
For this second phase, MINAGRI with the support from the EKN funded HortInvest project, is currently looking for an experienced consultant to guide and facilitate the process of developing and write up of the strategy.
2. Objective of the assignment
The main objective of this assignment is to develop a national strategy for management of pest control products in Rwanda, in particular for the Rwandan horticulture sector.
The specific objectives are the following:
- To build upon the previous activities conducted under phase one of the initiative, make an initial analysis of the key outcomes and findings, and feed them into the strategy development process;
- To engage all relevant stakeholders in the development of the PCP Management Strategy;
- To coordinate, facilitate, develop and lead the write-up of the PCP Management Strategy document.
3. Role, tasks, and activities
For this second phase, the appointed consultant is expected to:
A. Facilitate and lead the process of the strategy development:
- Take an active facilitative role in the process towards development of the strategy;
- Apply a participative, inclusive, and interactive facilitation approach;
- Structure the strategy development according to a process of successive steps, with specific milestones, outputs, and a clear planning;
- Guide the members of the PCP Management Strategy technical committee (currently consisting of representatives from MINAGRI, RAB, NAEB, RICA, Rwanda FDA, RSB, REMA, PSF, RAIDA, ADECOR, FAO and EKN, and potentially supplemented with additional members of stakeholder groups not yet represented or additional technical experts) in the process towards development of the strategy;
- Initiate and stimulate discussions among the members of the technical committee (and other stakeholders) to critically reflect on and come to an agreement on the different aspects of PCP management in Rwanda to be included in the strategy;
- Ensure that the interests of all relevant stakeholders are included in the strategy development discussions and process;
- Facilitate and organize the involvement or consultation of additional stakeholders or experts in the strategy development process, where required or desired;
- Ensure that for the jointly identified required tasks or activities responsibility is taken (by the technical committee members), and these are performed and delivered timely;
- Organise and prepare PCP Management Strategy Technical Committee meetings, working session, and/or other related meetings or activities, starting with the organization of a vision workshop with the PCP Management Strategy technical committee, with an aim to develop an initial well-considered and well-defined vision document as a starting point for the further development and write up of the national strategy;
- Ensure the process of developing the PCP management strategy is in cohesion with existing national and regional policy instruments (relevant national laws, regulations, policies, and strategic plans, and is harmonized with COMESA and EAC guidelines and agreements)
- Ensure that the strategy development process progresses as planned.
B. Develop and lead the write-up of the strategy document:
- Ensure that the key outcomes and findings of phase one of the initiative will feed into the strategy development process;
- Take the lead in developing and writing up of the actual strategy document, based on the above process and inputs and contributions of the PCP Management Strategy Technical Committee members and other relevant stakeholders;
- Validation of the strategy document by means of organizing a validation workshops with the broader stakeholder community;
- Develop a corresponding action plan for the implementation of the strategy (short-, medium- and long-term actions);
4. Concept Proposal
In addition to submitting a motivation letter and curriculum vitae, the consultant is
requested to submit a concise concept proposal (maximum 2 A4 pages), explaining the proposed approach, methodology and planning (including a specified budget) for the development of the PCP management strategy.
The following reports and deliverables are expected:
- Final proposal / plan / approach for the consultancy assignment;
- Initial analysis of the key outcomes and findings coming forward from phase one of the initiative;
- Regular progress reports, meeting and working session minutes;
- Draft strategy document;
- Validation workshop report;
- Final National PCP Management Strategy document, including the implementation action plan.
6. Team composition & qualifications
The selected consultant is expected to consult, work in close coordination with and provide regular updates on the progress made to:
- Representatives from MINAGRI and RICA;
- The PCP Management Strategy Technical Committee;
- HortInvest project
In addition, the consultant is expected to work closely with two (yet to be identified) champion interns, one with an agricultural background and another with a chemistry background. During the term of this assignment, the interns will be involved on a full-time basis and will be able to provide support to the work assigned to the consultant under this assignment. The consultant is expected to involve the interns in all activities related to the assignment, thereby guaranteeing knowledge transfer on the topic of PCP management for the future.
The consultant is required to demonstrate the following qualifications and competencies:
- At least 10 years professional working experience in fields relevant and related to the scope of work described;
- Proven experience and track record in undertaking similar assignment, and more specifically regarding guiding and facilitating similar strategy development and/or multi-stakeholder processes;
- Demonstrated experience in the agriculture/horticultural sector of Rwanda, and a good understanding of its various stakeholders, their roles, and positions;
- Proven extensive network in the food domain in general, in the agriculture/horticulture sector in Rwanda and the region, and more specifically regarding the management of pest control products;
- Good understanding of the agriculture/horticultural policies in Rwanda, with a special emphasize on those related to the management of pest control products;
- Proactive and independent work attitude;
- Excellent facilitation, communication, coordination, and organizational skills;
- Strong interpersonal and team building skills;
- Proven excellent written skills (e.g., reports, papers, strategy documents) and spoken skills of both English and Kinyarwanda, knowledge of French will be an added advantage.
1.Identification of candidates, selection of consultant and finalizing contracting process
3.PCP Management Strategy Technical Committee meetings, working session, and/or other related meetings or activities
JUL – AUG 2022
4.Validation, write-up and finalization of the strategy document and corresponding implementation action plan
5.Approval of the strategy & follow-up actions
🌐 How to Apply
Mode of Application and any other relevant application information
Interested bidders MUST submit completed bid documents, including with the quotation, by 13/5/2022, at 17:00 Hours, Kigali Time.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
🌀 WIDECareers Group Ltd igufasha gutambutsa Amatangazo ry’Akazi ndetse n’ayandi yose ajyanye nabyo kuri murandasi muburyo bwiza , bugezweho kandi bwihuse, rikagera kuri benshi barikeneye icyarimwe mu gihe gito ( Job Promotion & Placement Services), saba iyi service nonaha : 👉🏾 KANDA HANO
🌀 WIDECareers Group Ltd igufasha gukora Job Application mu buryo bwihuse kandi bwizewe (Online Application Assistance & Career Counceling), saba ubufasha nonaha : 👉🏾 KANDA HANO
🌀 Reba Imyanya y’Akazi yose iri kw’Isoko ry’Umurimo mu Rwanda 👉🏾 KANDA HANO
🌀 Reba Ibizamini byose by’Akazi biba byaragiye bikorwa kumyanya y’Akazi mu bigo bitandukanye unyuze hano : 👉🏾 KANDA HANO
🌀 Injira muri Groupe ya WIDECareers ikugezaho Amakuru yizewe y’Imirimo itandukanye n’Akazi kari kw’Isoko Ry’Umurimo mu Rwanda , unyuze hano : 👉🏾 KANDA HANO
165 All the time, 1 To day