🏘️ About the Organization and Job Details
Job Title: Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer
Reports to: WASH Sustainability Manager
Location: Kigali, with frequent travel to Water For People, focus districts
No. of working hours: 40 hours in a week
Commencement Date: October 2021
Duration: One (1) year with a possibility of renewal.
Water For People is an international not-for-profit organization established in 1991. Our vision is a world where every person has access to reliable and safe water and sanitation services. We exist to promote the development of high-quality drinking water and sanitation services, accessible to all, and sustained by strong communities, businesses, and governments. We value accountability, courage, empowerment, partnership and transparency. We operate in nine African, Asian and Latin American countries.
In Rwanda, Water For People was registered in April 2008. Currently, it is working in four districts namely Rulindo and Gicumbi in the Northern Province, Kicukiro in the City of Kigali, and Karongi in the Western Province where it supports water supply, sanitation, and hygiene programs, while at national level, Water For People support WASH sector systems.
Job Summary and Overall Purpose
The Monitoring, Evaluation and Knowledge Management Officer, in close collaboration with the Country Program Team is responsible for coordinating the development and implementation of comprehensive organizational monitoring & evaluation and knowledge management system to enhance impact, monitoring, quality control and evaluation in order to improve programmatic approaches and internal processes, facilitate continuous learning, and underpin accountability at various levels.
Work with relevant national and district staff to design and implement a monitoring framework to track delivery against Water For People Rwanda goals and objectives in the focus districts, including establishing baselines to gauge and support the performance of the program; lead targeted country program, and donor surveys, including design, data collection and analysis for assessment of progress and areas for improvement, as well as the implementation of summative evaluations.
Assess progress and areas of improvement based on results from routine monitoring and lead targeted efforts to evaluate the effectiveness of specific approaches and programs; implement summative evaluations for specific partners and programs; and maintain focus on producing results that inform adaptive management.
Provide regularly synthesized and updated reports on the status of implementation against Water For People Rwanda strategic goals and objectives, and in collaboration with program staff, ensure timely submission of Country Program work plans and regular reports to partners and relevant institutions.
In collaboration with the global learning manager, design a learning agenda for the Country Program and lead its implementation; organize and coordinate annual reflection sessions with partners, and ensure that key learning outcomes are implemented
e) Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate on the development of Water For People monitoring, evaluation, and learning framework and lead implementation in Rwanda
- Lead harmonization of relevant monitoring systems including the Management Information System (MIS) for the WASH sector in Rwanda, Water For People’s organizational requirements, and donor-specific requirements.
- Develop a systems for monitoring implementation of specific projects in Rwanda, including mapping of, Inputs – Outputs – Outcomes
- Track delivery against Water For People—Rwanda goals and objectives, including establishing baselines to gauge and support the performance of the program.
- Lead the analysis of data collected under the monitoring framework for assessment of progress and areas for improvement.
- Put in place systems and mechanisms for collecting data to monitor the development of defined indicators under the comprehensive reporting framework.
- Lead the design and implementation of baseline assignments and other surveys and gathering information for reporting and periodic updates.
- Develop appropriate monitoring tools as needed, and train the Water For People—Rwanda team and partners on the use of those tools.
- Build capacity of district staff on WASH monitoring
- Conduct and/or supervise periodic evaluations of the Program’ s Thematic Strategies and their contribution to the achievement of overall results.
- Contribute to drafting ToRs and supervise contracted consultants to complete a specific piece of work in support of the Water For People—Rwanda Evaluation System, and approve their final deliverables.
- Evaluate results from routine monitoring to inform government and organizational planning processes
- Lead targeted efforts to evaluate the effectiveness of specific approaches and programs.
- Design and implement periodic field studies for purposes of learning the impact of program interventions, obtaining qualitative data, enhancing planning and implementation of program activities.
- Implement summative evaluations for specific partners and programs
- Champion concepts of adaptive management and advocate for use of data to improve impact
- Prepare concise bi-annual reports and produce a synthetic and analytical progress report to guide management decision-making.
- Provide regularly (quarterly, biannually, and annually) synthesized and updated reports on the status of implementation against Water For People—Rwanda’s strategic goals and objectives.
- Document program activities, analyzing and jointly preparing proposals and reports on project accomplishments, challenges, and recommendations for improvements.
- Contribute to organizational learning by preparing and disseminating data, lessons learned, good practices and statistical, qualitative, and anecdotal evidence to staff, partners and other stakeholders.
- Contribute to program management through timely processing and dissemination of monitoring & evaluation findings and best practices to facilitate evidence-based planning, learning, and programme decision-making.
- Contribute input in support of research and grant proposals, publications, and conference presentations.
- Disseminate and promote the utilization of key research and case studies both internally and to the external worl
- Organise periodic organizational learning events to share best practice
- Promote the replication of documented best practices among Water for People country programs globally.
Required Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, Development Studies, or Research studies with a development bias.
- Previous experience and training in monitoring and evaluation
- Knowledge and experience with different monitoring tools for survey design and data collection, management, and analysis.
- Experience and skills in training and transfer of knowledge
- Knowledge and understanding of qualitative and quantitative research/evaluation methodologies and strong analytical skills.
- Good skills in presentation, documentation, and information management.
- Critical thinker with ability to demonstrate analytical skills
- Strong writing skills, including experience in producing proposals, reports, and other informational documents.
- Proven ability to present monitoring data and survey finding clearly
- Computer proficiency with MS Office Access, Project, PowerPoint, etc.) and expertise in Excel
- Experience with Statistical Programs (g. STRATA, SAS, SPSS)
- Proven knowledge of Data Management methods and applications
- An ability to write clear and concise reports; good spoken and written Engl
- Proven ability to produce results within tight deadlines in a very busy environment
- Good knowledge of communication techniques and ability to develop and deliver an effective presentation
- Connects to the Mission – Embraces the mission of Water For People and is passionate about advancing the dynamic role it plays in leading social impact in international development.
- Demonstrates Ethics and Integrity – Understands ethical behavior and business practices and ensures that own behavior is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
- Manages through Ambiguity – Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in responding to change and ambiguity.
- Demonstrates Cultural Awareness – Able to engage the wide range of stakeholders from a variety of backgrounds and cultures.
- Action-oriented – Maintains an attitude of open, curious, and proactive learning, continually expanding own area of understanding and expertise.
- Connects with Others – Listens and fosters open communication through questioning, dialogue, and information sharing.
- Self-confident – Demonstrates humility, mature confidence, and courage to innovate, risk, and lead in own role.
Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
🌐 How to Apply
Job Application Channel Accepted
- If you are both qualified and Water For People interests you, please visit our Career Center and apply with application letter along with detailed curriculum vitae (resume), relevant academic documents, and contact details of at least three (3) referees to this position. Please submit your application materials in English. In-person visits or phone calls are not allowed!
- Applications need to be received no later than 15 September 2021 at 5:00 pm (Rwanda time).
Water For People in Rwanda.
54 All the time, 1 To day