Procurement and Logistics Manager at Smart Africa Secretariat( Deadline: 7th August 2022 at 05:00PM -Kigali time)
Terms of Reference
PROCUREMENT AND LOGISTICS MANAGER
- Position title: Procurement and Logistics Manager
- Duty Station: Kigali, Rwanda
- Contract Duration: Three years, renewable
- Application Deadline: 7th August 2022
About the Smart Africa
The Smart Africa Alliance is a partnership among African countries adhering to the Smart Africa Manifesto (herein after referred to as “the Manifesto”), the African Union (AU Commission, AUDA, specialized institutions and Regional Economic Communities), the Economic Commission for Africa (ECA), the African Development Bank (AfDB), the World Bank, the International Telecommunications Union (ITU), the Private Sector, Academic and Research Institutions.
The Smart Africa Alliance (or Smart Africa) is a bold and innovative commitment from African Heads of State and Government to accelerate sustainable socio-economic development on the continent, ushering Africa into a knowledge economy through the usage of Information and Communications Technologies (ICT).
On 30th-31st January 2014, the Smart Africa Manifesto was endorsed by all Heads of State and Government of the African Union at the 22nd Ordinary Session of the Assembly of the African Union in Addis Ababa. This development places the Manifesto at the heart of the ICT agenda in Africa beyond just the 7 original signatories at the Summit to all African countries. The Smart Africa Alliance has since grown to include 32 African countries that represent 815+ million people.
The Smart Africa Manifesto aims to put ICT at the center of the continental and national socio-economic development of Member States. This means increasing access to ICT solutions, improving accountability, efficiency, and openness through ICT, promoting the introduction of advanced technologies in telecommunication, strengthening the private sector, leveraging ICT to promote sustainable development.
The Smart Africa Alliance is a multilateral organization and serves as the framework for implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the Manifesto, designed to make it actionable. The Smart Africa Alliance is a not-for-profit organization.
The organization develops continent-wide goals and milestones as well as best practices to guide the implementation of the Smart Africa Initiative. In light of the above, each adhering country develops and implements flagship projects with clear targets and milestones. These need to be strongly aligned to the Smart Africa Alliance principles. The Alliance provides technical support to countries in the development and implementation of the flagship projects. The organization also assists governments to the extent possible to mobilize funding from development partners and the Private Sector in order to implement their flagship projects.
Visit https://smartafrica.org/ for more information about Smart Africa.
Responsibilities and work relationships
The Procurement and Logistics Manager is responsible for management and coordination of procurement and logistics activities, elaborating and implementing procurement plans for projects, compliance with procurement policies and procedures, digitalization/ automation and optimization of procurement and logistics processes, etc. The Procurement and Logistics Manager will supervise the Procurement Team, and work closely with Finance team, Project Manager/ Program Leaders, Heads of Departments and Legal Advisor.
She/He will work under the direct supervision of Head of Corporate Services and in collaboration with the Finance team, Heads of Departments and Legal team.
Specifically, this position will cover the following areas of work:
Policies and Procedures
- Ensure compliance with Smart Africa procurement policies and procedures
- Ensure compliance with specific donors’ procurement procedures as per the grant agreements
- Contribute to the revision, development and implementation of procurement and logistics policies and procedures in line with the best practices and optimized to fit the organization context.
- Identify risk areas and mitigation plans and propose improvement areas for strengthening procurement and logistics policies and procedures and processes
- Serve as contact person for staff and external stakeholders for interpretation of policies and procedures
- Liaise with donors for requests for donors’ no-objections on procurement processes.
- Working with Project Managers/ Program Leaders in collecting procurement needs and lead the development and implementation of procurement plan
- Support Project Managers/ Program Leaders in the process of preparation of procurement plans including cost estimates during project proposals development phase
- Prepare and manage budget for procurement and logistics function
Technical guidance and Team Supervision
- Lead, guide, coach, build capacity and supervise the procurement and logistics team;
- Provide support, guidance and advice to Procurement team, Project Managers/ Line Managers, Procurement Committee and Management on procurement procedures, required documentation, applicable procurement methods, bids evaluations, negotiations, contract management, arising procurement issues, procurement best practices, etc.
- Review and support with requestors in elaboration of requests for proposals/quotations including scope of work, technical specifications, bidders’ requirements, evaluation criteria, etc. and initiate the publication/ invitation to bidders
- Assigned tasks, supervise, and provide hands-on support to the procurement and logistics team.
- Prepare and manage contracts for suppliers, service providers and contractors
- Work with Requestors, Legal Advisor, and Management in the process of preparing and reviewing procurement contracts
- Ensure proper contract management including working with technical requestors in monitoring the contractors/ service providers performance,
- Ensure appropriate Management’s actions are taken timely in case the contractors/ service providers fail to meet their performance obligations during the contract, contract amendments and extensions, parties’ contractual obligations, etc.
- Manage efficiently and timely procurement and logistics activities to avoid delays in the processes
- Ensure proper budget authorizations are obtained before commitments with Suppliers, Service Providers and Contractors
- Ensure procurement processes are conducted in transparent, fair and cost-efficient manner and are supported with complete documentation
- Ensure procurement processes for framework agreements are well documented and processes for renewal of framework agreements are conducted timely
- Ensure the procurement principles of efficiency, effectiveness and economy are considered throughout the procurement processes
- Ensure that procurement processes with exceptions to competitive bidding are properly authorized and documented
- Prepare/ Review bids evaluation reports, quotation comparison notes, contracts and purchase orders for approval
- Lead market search as necessary and the selection of suppliers/ service providers/ contractors
- Ensure proper filing and archiving of procurement documents for future reference and audits
- Initiate request for payment with Finance Unit after verification of procurement documents including delivery certification documents
- Coordinate the certification by the Requestors of conformity of goods, services and works received to the specifications ordered/contracted.
- Conduct contract negotiations in collaboration with Requestors and procurement committee
- Work with Finance to support auditor’s work, respond to audit queries relating to procurement and logistics, timely implementation of the audit recommendations
- Coordinate background check for service providers, including references check, samples verification, show room visits, etc.
- Coordinate the preparation of weekly progress tracker report for ongoing requisitions and procurement processes for appropriate measures on challenges, delays, etc.;
- Prepare monthly procurement reports including closed and pending contracts and purchase orders
- Coordinate response to bidders/service providers’ questions or complaints in collaboration with Requestors
- Maintain an updated contact list of technically competent suppliers and service providers for frequently needed goods and services
- Manage and coordinate the efficient provision of logistical support required by staff, office operations, guests, meetings and events.
- Manage office rental contract and their timely renewal
- Ensure effective services and timely payment for office security, cleaning and fumigation, utilities, air conditioning maintenance, waste management, car parking, etc.
- Organize timely preventive maintenance for office facilities
- Manage and safeguard office equipment through regular update of fixed assets register records and tagging, physical verification of fixed assets and materials in the stock
- Conduct timely disposal processes for assets and materials which obsolete, old, damaged, or no longer needed
- Ensure proper management of office supplies including stock records and coordination of timely reorder to avoid supplies shortage.
- Ensure proper management of Smart Africa vehicles including maintenance, repairs and fueling.
- Ensure property insurance is renewed timely.
- Prepare periodic logistic reports for assets, stock, office equipment maintenance, vehicle fuel, repair, and maintenance
- Serve as contact person for logistical requests from staff and external stakeholders
Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisors
Duration of the contract
The expected duration of the contract will be of 3 years and may be renewed subject to availability of funds.
The position will be based in Kigali, Rwanda.
Key Qualification Requirements
- At least Seven (7) years of proven managerial experience in procurement and logistics.
- Experience in managing procurement processes for international tenders will be an advantage.
- Experience in managing procurement processes for grants funded by large bilateral and multilateral donors will be an advantage.
- Procurement work experience in international organizations is desirable.
- Experience in using ERP software with procurement module or other software for digitalized procurement processes is desirable.
Education and Training
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree in Procurement, Supply Chain Management, Law, business administration, or other relevant fields.
- Recognized professional certification in procurement e.g. CIPS or equivalent will be an advantage.
Key personal attributes
Proficiency in English is required, both written and oral communication. Proficiency in French will be an advantage.
Application Instructions and Deadline
Candidates should send the following documents to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org, with mention of “Procurement and Logistics Manager” in the subject:
- A detailed CV.
- A one-page cover letter with a motivation statement in relation to the responsibilities and requirements for this position.
- Copies of academic degree, professional certificates, and other relevant training certificates
The deadline of application is 7th August 2022 at 05:00PM (Kigali time)
Only selected candidates for interview will be contacted.
2,588 All the time, 1 To day