Project Officer – Data Governance Initiatives at Smart Africa Secretariat(Deadline: 7th August, 2022)
Terms of Reference
PROJECT OFFICER – DATA GOVERNANCE INITIATIVES
- Position title: Project Officer – Data Governance Initiatives
- Duty Station: Kigali, Rwanda
- Contract Duration: One year, renewable
- Application Deadline: 07th August 2022
- About the Smart Africa
The Smart Africa Alliance is a bold and innovative commitment from African Heads of State and Government to accelerate sustainable socio-economic development on the African continent with the vision to transform Africa into a Single Digital Market by 2030. Its 5-point manifesto seeks; to put ICT at the centre of national socio-economic development agenda, to improve access to ICT especially Broadband, to improve accountability, efficiency, and openness through ICT, to put the Private Sector First and to leverage ICT to promote sustainable development.
As of January 2022, The Smart Africa Alliance membership included 32 Member States, International partner organizations including the Africa Union Commission (AUC) and International Telecommunications Union (ITU) among others, as well as International Private Sector Members. The Smart Africa Secretariat (SAS) is based in Kigali, Rwanda.
- About the Smart Africa Data Governance Initiatives
Every day, enormous amounts of data are collected, stored, and transmitted across the globe. Value generation in the digital economy is directly related to this circulation of data, both between countries and economic actors, just like access to roads or train networks, access to trustworthy data has become vital for a large part of the economy and society.
To increase the use of data and derive its associated value, capacities to make a smart and efficient use of data must be enhanced on the African continent, both in the public and private sector. Infrastructures for this data circulation must be developed, access to public data improved, data sharing between businesses supported, cross-border flow of data simplified, and the economic value of data harnessed.
These efforts however need to be carefully accompanied by the design and implementation of good Data Governance. Data Governance is the framework of principles and rules that define the modalities of data sharing between parties, considering access, use and the distribution of value derived from its use, and ensure high quality throughout the complete lifecycle of data ensuring that data remains usable, accessible, fit for purpose and economically viable.
Effective data governance system and rules will, therefore, ensure:
- The protection of African states’ sovereignty and interests, ensuring that value creation benefits African economies.
- The protection of rights and freedoms of African citizens and;
- The protection of business and organizations, who need a trusted environment and legal certainty for the uptake of digital products and services’ use.
Smart Africa’s objective is committed to transform the continent into a Single Digital Market by 2030. Data governance frameworks are not yet harmonized across Africa but might play an increasing role in the support of emerging technologies like artificial intelligence or IoT, and more globally in the socio-economic development of the continent. Some of the current Data Governance initiatives within Smart Africa include the following:
- The Data flagship project:
- Developing the data governance blueprint.
- Assisting member states to develop data strategies.
- Building the capacity of data policy makers and decision makers through the Smart Africa Digital Academy.
- The Africa Data Leadership Initiative in partnership with UNECA and Future State.
As Smart Africa works towards building a digital single market in Africa, it has become critical to facilitate and guide, not only the harmonization of frameworks, but also implementation of responsible data governance solutions on the continent based on the recently developed African Union Continental Data Policy Framework.
- Duties and Responsibilities:
The Project Officer – Data Governance Initiatives will support in the implementation of Smart Africa data governance initiatives. She/He will report directly to the Project Manager in Charge of Data Governance Initiatives under the Digital Infrastructure, Skills and Empowerment Department.
The Primary Duties of the Position will include:
- Coordinating technical capacity building programs for policy and decision makers of the data economy in Africa in liaison with the Smart Africa Digital Academy (SADA).
- Facilitating the establishment of peer learning circles and coordinating related activities for data economy stakeholders in Africa such as annual meetings, public events and roundtable discussions.
- Prepare annual work plans and budgets for the peer learning and capacity building programs and other Data Governance Initiatives as requested.
- Providing periodical reports on the progress of project activities and issues arising.
- Engaging with internal and external stakeholders to support data policy and governance projects including gathering inputs, requirements and updating project documents and events accordingly.
- Preparing detailed formal documents, such as agendas, briefing materials, and meeting minutes for cross-functional committees or internal operating procedures.
- Providing Project management support during project planning, execution, monitoring, evaluation, and closure.
- Assisting in the organization of working group meetings, panels, round tables, etc. on data governance issues.
Other Responsibilities include:
- Providing required technical and administrative support to coordinate and implement data governance project activities across Smart Africa Member States.
- Establishing close collaboration, working arrangements and partnerships with Governments, Private sector, non-Government organisations, academia and other professional associations, to ensure good coordination, collaboration, and timely conduct of Smart Africa activities.
- Participating in regional project meetings and workshops and other activities as and when appropriate.
- Any other assignments or projects, which will be assigned from time to time by the Supervisor and leadership of Smart Africa.
- Duration of the contract
The expected duration of the contract will be of One year and renewable subject to availability of funds and performance assessment.
- Duty Station
The position will be based in Kigali, Rwanda.
Key Qualification Requirements
Education and Professional experience:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Management Information System, Information Management, Law, Political Science, Economics, or a related field with at least 3 years of technical and professional experience.
- A Masters’ Degree in a digital transformation related field or policy will be an added advantage.
Core Experience and Skills
- Good understanding of data and policy issues, industry and standard business law or other related function
- Good knowledge and understanding of the data governance landscape in Africa.
- Ability to write professionally researched and thought-out policy documents and reports.
- Advanced analytical skills
General experience and skills:
- Effective communication skills and good interpersonal skills with experience in networking with partners at all levels.
- Creativity, problem-solving abilities, and ability to work in a team.
- Strong communication skills (both oral and written).
- Must be a self-starter, flexible, innovative, and adaptive.
- Stong reporting and documentation skills in Microsoft Office
Excellent Knowledge and Fluency in both English and French (oral and written).
Candidates interested in this position should send the following documents to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org, with mention in the subject “Project Officer – Data Governance”:
- A detailed CV in either English or French.
- A one-page cover letter with a motivation statement in relation to the responsibilities and requirements for this position.
- Copies of academic degree, professional training certificates, and other relevant certificates
The deadline of application is 07th August 2022 at 05:00PM (Kigali time).
Only selected candidates for interview will be contacted.
🌐 How to Apply
🌀 JOIN NOW OUR CAREERS WhatsApp group to don’t miss any Opportunity : 👉🏾 CLICK HERE
🌀 WIDECareers is your best partner that instantly provides to your business the following Services : Jobs /Career Advertising, Listing and Postings , other Recruitments & HR Managements Services : 👉🏾 CLICK HERE TO BOOK SERVICE NOW
🌀 READ all career Opportunities across world wide Job Market to day , 👉🏾 CLICK HERE
🌀 Get Useful study materials (LOJEQ Program) for Job Exam Preparation : 👉🏾 CLICK HERE
1,726 All the time, 1 To day