Project Officer in the EU Delegation to Rwanda (Deadline: 07th October, 2022)
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 27 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organizations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation to Rwanda, Kigali works in close coordination with the Embassies and Consulates of the 27 EU Member States. We are a fully-fledged diplomatic mission and represent the European Union in dealings with the Rwandan government in areas that are part of the EU’s remit.
The post of Project Officer – Environment, Climate Action, Biodiversity (Local Agent Group 1) in the Delegation’s Cooperation Section. The team consists of 5 people and there are occasional atypical working hours.
Under this post, the recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation, and on the changes of these needs. The successful candidate will serve under the supervision and responsibility of the Team Leader of the “Rural Development, Environment, Biodiversity and Gender” section, providing support, expertise and assistance in the areas of environment, climate action and biodiversity.
- The Project Officer will occupy a specific job function under the direct supervision and responsibility of the relevant Team Leader.
- The job function may change in accordance with the needs of the Delegation.
- The Project Officer will serve as technical and support staff to design, implement and monitor EU programmes and projects, as well as to develop relevant communications or public diplomacy actions in support of environment, climate action and biodiversity in Rwanda.
- The Project Officer will be expected to offer knowledge and support during consultations, advocacy and policy dialogue with key stakeholders, including government officials, development partner representatives, the financial and private sector as well as civil society on themes and issues relevant to her portfolio.
- The Project Officer’s portfolio is expected to cover all matters related to environment, climate change and biodiversity, which as examples could include sustainable natural resources management, (land, water and forests); conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity; climate action in rural areas ( adaptation , mitigation and disaster risk management); green and climate finance, circular economy; eco-services; research and innovation.
- The Project Officer would also be responsible to provide inputs on other sections’ areas of intervention linked to environment and climate action, which as examples could sustainable agriculture and value chain development, trade, gender.
Functions and duties:
- Contribute to the analysis and, when the need presents itself, the formulation of EU policies and programmes in areas relating to his/her portfolio.
- Offer knowledge and support to the undertaking of diagnostic studies, engage with private sector representatives and civil society, and use analytical/research sources to better inform EU programmes and policy dialogue on issues relating to environment, climate action and biodiversity;
- Ensure sound administration and management of EU projects and programmes in areas related to his/her portfolio;
- Offer knowledge and assistance in the design, budgeting, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of relevant projects and programmes;
- Under the supervision of the Team Leader, engage in policy formulation and dialogue with relevant government officials in order to help shape and enhance policies and reforms in areas relating to his/her portfolio;
- Work within relevant Sector and Technical Working Groups (e.g. Environment SWG) and Development Partner groups in areas relating to his/her portfolio in order to ensure effective operational coordination and cooperation, particularly among EU Member States;
- Maintain effective dialogue and relationships with colleagues in EU Headquarters and timely contribute to internal communication and reporting, as required;
- Offer recommendations / develop ideas for communication and public diplomacy activities aimed at increasing the visibility of EU policies related to environment, climate action and biodiversity;
- Undertake other tasks in line with his competencies, as assigned by the Team Leader, and provide appropriate backstopping for absent colleagues.
Education & Training
- Minimum University Degree in Environmental studies, Environmental economics, Sustainable Management of natural resources, Green and Climate Finance, Economics, or a related area.
- A double degree, preferably including one from an internationally accredited university will be a definite advantage.
Knowledge and experience
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in the technical and financial management of projects.
- Demonstrated operational knowledge of and experience with relevant public institutions and/or civil society organisations relating to environment, climate action and biodiversity.
- Knowledge of the European Union development cooperation and procedures is an asset.
- Familiarity with the EU’s fundamental values is an asset.
- Work experience with a European Union Delegation or in project funded by the European Union is an asset.
- Experience in managing development programmes or working for a development agency is an asset.
- Experience in participating in relevant fora and delivering on quality briefs in the areas of environment, biodiversity and climate action is an asset.
- Experience in policy formulation in the areas of environment, climate action and/or biodiversity will be an advantage.
- Excellent command of English (C1 Level)
- Oral and written in French and/or Kinyarwanda and Swahili are an asset.
- Drafting and analytical capacities are key skills for this post.
- Capacity to communicate clearly and present complex matters in a simple and synthetic way.
- Good ability to work in a team
- Polite and, when relating to the jobholder’s key qualification, outspoken towards colleagues in the Delegation and the EU Institutions, as well as towards visitors and partners.
- Capacity to focus on priorities, work independently and to organize work to deliver on time.
- Ability to efficiently use standard software packages – at least Word, Excel, PowerPoint;
- Computer literacy enabling a quick adaptability to new software, including the software applications specific to the European Union.
- Ability to work under pressure and to respond quickly to new demands;
- Ability to work autonomously, under the supervision of the Team Leader;
- Commitment to assure quality, speed and accuracy in performing technical and procedural duties;
- High degree of responsibility in handling Community funding;
- Discretion and confidentiality.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send their application and supporting documents by email (maximum size 1MB) to: DELEGATION-RWANDA-HR@eeas.europa.eu with the subject of the message : “Application LA: Project Officer – [Family Name and first name].
The package should include a motivation letter, a Europass format CV (https://europa.eu/europass/en/create-europass-cv) and 2 references.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted individually and invited to a test and interviews. Recruitment of the successful candidate will be subject to medical fitness.
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone: please address any queries concerning this procedure to email@example.com
The deadline for applications is 07 October 2022 at 13:00 (Rwandan time).
APPLY NOW :
Other Related Posts to READ:
- All Job Opportunities 2022
- All Internships Opportunities 2022
- All Tenders Opportunities 2022
- All Educational Opportunities 2022
NOTICE! : For More Employment Opportunities daily News & Bulletins , Follow our Tweeter | WhatsApp Groups | Facebook Page | Instagram | Join Facebook Group | LinkedIn Page | Useful Job Exam Questionnaires .
2,530 All the time, 1 To day