🏘️ About the Organization and Job Details
Job Title: Sanitation Business Development Manager
Reports to: Country Director
Supervisor Duties: Water and Sanitation Business Development Officer and SanitationOfficer
No. of working hours 40 hours in a week
Water For People is an international non-governmental organization (NGO) that works with people and partners to develop innovative and long-lasting solutions to the water, sanitation, and hygiene problems globally. The organization strives to continually improve, experiment with promising new ideas, and leverage resources to multiply its impact.
Based in Kigali with frequent travel upcountry, the Sanitation Business Development Manager coordinates all Rwanda Country Program (CP) Sanitation as a Business project, develops implementation plans, tracks progress, and provides business development technical expertise to the program.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES:
- Strategic Planning
- Work with WFP HQ, and Country Program staff to develop country sanitation strategy in line with Water For People’s overall strategy and policy objectives.
- Contribute to Water For People’s overall program and policy discussions pertaining to sustainable sanitation services.
- In co-operation with national and local sanitation stakeholders, develop program work that contributes to Water For People’s learning and advocacy agendas.
- Initiate annual operating plans in line with set sanitation priorities and allocated budget.
- Entertain relationships with national sanitation stakeholders including Research institutions, Ministries, government bodies and institutions responsible for Sustaining Sanitation Services, National and Local Sanitation Service Providers and National and Local Government Authorities.
- Strengthen relationships with partner organizations, the local private sector, and NGOs supporting sanitation in WFP EF districts to create synergies.
- Build/strengthen relationship with sector stakeholders supporting sanitation and influence harmonization of sanitation marketing approaches by sector stakeholders.
- Collaboration with LIXIL to increase scale of SaTo pan distribution and marketing to national scale in Rwanda, with focus on affordable pricing models and expansion into rural distribution networks
- Specific tasks
- Drive innovation in the sanitation business space in line with the overall vision of the Rwanda Country Program and Water For People global sanitation program.
- Design a program with the aim of achieving Sustainable Sanitation services
- Ensure implementation of the Rwanda CP Sanitation strategy relating to the development and growth of Feacal Sludge Management and latrine building services in different segments of the population and in different parts of Rwanda.
- Coordinate all country Program Sanitation Business activities, maintaining regular contact with all project staff, partner staff and relevant government bodies.
- Manage the technology development process in Rwanda and ensure that sanitation engineering process remains a priority and relevant to the sector and needs of the sanitation businesses.
- Develop project implementation plans, track progress against plans, and oversee expenditures.
- Ensure that good learning relationship and effective communication channels are developed between the Program and stakeholders in sanitation sub-sector.
- Provide expertise in developing sanitation businesses in Rwanda and develop systems which improve the sector and entrepreneur capacity.
- Identify and evaluate opportunities for expansion of the Loan Guarantee Fund for potential sanitation enterprises
- Lead feasibility and scooping studies related to market opportunities for products derived from waste reuse (e.g. fertilizers, soil conditioners, fuel briquettes, etc) as well as analysis of potential business models for their production
- Identify needs, opportunities, gaps, and constraints in potential sanitation markets, models, and entrepreneurs, and provide mentoring and support to sanitation businesses.
- Conduct business landscaping studies and oversee the design and management of market analysis work and consumer feedback surveys.
- Engage with local government to understand and improve the regulatory operating environment for emerging sanitation businesses as appropriate.
- Document successes, failures and lessons learnt, and share knowledge internally and externally.
- Actively collaborate with Water For people strategic partners and other sector players to promote sanitation as a business.
- Establish and facilitate multi-stakeholder learning platforms at National and District levels aimed at discussion of sanitation as a business.
- Build trust and relationships with key local entrepreneurs and gain an understanding of the private sector in the country at all levels.
- Manage the sanitation business team and ensure teamwork for effective implementation of Sanitation program.
- Lead regular monitoring & evaluation of market-based sanitation initiatives, with a focus on financial sustainability and critical business metrics of service providers and business models supported by Water For People
- Connects to the Mission – Embraces the mission of Water For People and is passionate about advancing the dynamic role it plays leading social impact in international development.
- Demonstrates Ethics and Integrity – Understands ethical behavior and business practices, and ensures that own behavior is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
- Manages through Ambiguity – Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in responding to change and ambiguity.
- Demonstrates Cultural Awareness – Able to engage the wide range of stakeholders from a variety of backgrounds and cultures.
- Action-oriented – Maintains an attitude of open, curious, and proactive learning, continually expanding own area of understanding and expertise.
- Connects with Others – Listens and fosters open communication through questioning, dialogue, and information sharing.
- Self-confident – Demonstrates humility, mature confidence, and courage to innovate, risk, and lead in own role.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Master’s degree in business or relevant field.
- At least five (5) years of directly related experience in business development is preferred.
- Experience in the provision of technical advice to small and medium enterprises in Rwanda.
- Experience with running or investing in a business, particularly in the informal sector, would be an added value.
- Experience working with Microfinance institutions.
- Demonstrated success in managing a team of innovators.
- An understanding of how business works, what determines success or failure (both within businesses themselves and within the operating environment), monitoring and analysis of business metrics, and how entrepreneurs make decisions.
- Must be flexible, intuitive for innovative entrepreneurial approaches, able to work under tight deadlines, and have excellent follow through skills. Be a self-starter and work with limited supervision.
- Comfort and confidence in communicating with entrepreneurs, and talent in communicating with diverse and international constituents.
- Understanding of what is required when using international grant funds, in terms of effectiveness and accountability.
- Excellent verbal/written communications and presentation skills. Good analytical skills and the ability to extrapolate lessons to other situations.
- Some knowledge of the Rwanda sanitation sector is preferable but not essential.
- The position is based at Water For People’s Rwanda office.
- Position requires regular travel to program sites in Rwanda.
🌐 How to Apply
Job Application Channel Accepted
- If you are both qualified and Water For People interests you, please visit our Career Center and apply with application letter along with detailed curriculum vitae (resume), relevant academic documents, and contact details of at least three (3) referees to this position. Please submit your application materials in English. In person visits or phone calls are not allowed!
- Applications need to be received no later than 15 September 2021 at 5:00 pm (Rwanda time).
Kigali , August 2021.
Water For People in Rwanda.
55 All the time, 1 To day