The Swedish Institute Scholarship for Global Professionals aims to develop future global leaders that will contribute to the United Nations 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and contribute to a positive and sustainable development in their home countries and region.
The programme is funded by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. It offers you a unique opportunity to develop both professionally and academically, experience Swedish society and culture, and build a long-lasting relationship with Sweden and other scholarship holders. Usually 4-6% of the applicants are awarded a Global Professionals scholarship.
- The scholarship is available for citizens from 42 countries, include Rwanda
- Applications for Global Professionals 2021 opens up on 8 February.
- Only available for programmes starting in the autumn semester.
- Account , Finance , Economic , Management are involved in eligible master’s programmes at Lund University , for Global Professionals academic year 2021/2022 , You’ll find the list of eligible master’s programmes for Global Professionals academic year 2021/2022 here.
The scholarship is intended for full-time one-year or two-year master’s programmes. The scholarship period cannot be changed or extended beyond the awarded scholarship period, nor can it be transferred to a study programme other than the awarded master’s programme.
What you get as a recipient of Global Professionals
- SI fully covers your tuition fees to the Swedish university you are attending. This is paid directly by SI at the beginning of each semester.
- You will receive a regular payment of SEK 10,000 to cover your living expenses throughout the scholarship. This payment is given monthly throughout the scholarship period.
- Insurance against illness and accident.
- Membership of the SI Network for Future Global Leaders(NFGL) – a platform to help you grow professionally and build your network while in Sweden.
- After your scholarship period has ended, you gain membership to the SI Alumni Network. As a member, you get a unique opportunity for continued networking and to further develop yourself professionally. The local networks exist worldwide and currently consist of over 15,000 talented alumni from over 140 countries.
- For Bangladesh; Bolivia; Brazil; Cambodia; Cameroon; Colombia; Ecuador; Egypt; Ethiopia; Gambia; Ghana; Guatemala; Honduras; Indonesia; Jordan; Kenya; Liberia; Malawi; Morocco; Myanmar (Burma); Nepal; Nigeria; Pakistan; Peru; Philippines; Rwanda; Sri Lanka; Sudan; Tanzania; Tunisia; Uganda; Vietnam; Zambia; Zimbabwe the scholarship also includes a travel grant of SEK 15,000 for the entire study period. This is a one-time payment and does not apply for students already living in Sweden.
- For Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, Russian Federation, Turkey or Ukraine. The scholarship also includes a travel grant of SEK 10,000 for the entire study period.
This is a one-time payment and does not apply for students already living in Sweden.
The scholarship does not cover:
- Additional grants for family members.
- Application fee to University Admissions.
You must be a citizen of a country that is eligible for the scholarship programme. Read more about country of citizenship.
You must be liable to pay tuition fees to Swedish universities, have followed the steps of university admission, and be admitted to one of the eligible master’s programmes by the 9th of April 2021.
There are also other conditions regarding dual citizenship, previous residence and studies in Sweden, and more.
Note: Some criteria for priority SI scholarships differ depending on the home region of the applicant.
You must have a minimum of 3,000 hours of demonstrated work experience.
You must have demonstrated leadership experience from your current or previous employment or civil society.
The master’s studies must be eligible for SI scholarships. We give the highest priority to specific subject areas.
Who can apply for Global Professionals?
We are looking for ambitious professionals who want to make a difference by working with issues that contribute to a just and sustainable development in their home country and region; and also have a clear idea of how a study programme in Sweden would benefit their country and region. Priority will be given to applicants with a strong and relevant professional background and demonstrated leadership experience.
You should only submit the required documents listed below in your online scholarship application. We will not consider any other documents than the required ones. You must complete your application in English. Use our forms and templates provided below and complete them according to the instructions both below and in the forms, or else your applications will be disqualified. Kindly note the length limitation for your answers and the documents.
Documents for the scholarship application (2021/2022):
A complete application consists of:
- Motivation letter
- Letters of reference
- Valid and completed proof of work and leadership experience
- Copy of your valid passport
Note: Your application will be disqualified if any of the required documents above is missing.
You must use the Global Professionals form for the motivation letter 2021/2022. You need to fill in and upload the motivation letter as a PDF-file on the application portal within the application period.
Curriculum Vitae (CV)
You must use the Global Professionals form for CV 2021/2022 and the CV should not exceed three pages. It’s up to you to decide which parts are relevant for your application. Additional pages will not be considered during the evaluation.
Letters of reference
You must use the Global Professionals form for the letter of reference 2021/2022. One letter of reference based on work experience is mandatory. All letters of reference must be signed by the referee and stamped with an official stamp of the referred organisation or notary office. The letters should be typed, then printed, signed, stamped, and uploaded as a single PDF-file. You can find more information in the instruction in the form and our FAQ.
- Two different letters of reference are mandatory as part of the application. It is also a merit if the second letter of reference is based on your involvement in networks or civil society organisations outside of your regular work.
Proof of work and leadership experience
You must use the Global Professionals form for proof of work and leadership experience 2021/2022. The work and leadership form should be signed by the referee and stamped with an official stamp of the referred organisation or a notary office. The form(s) should be typed, then printed, signed, stamped, and uploaded as a single PDF-file. You can find more information in the instruction in the form and our FAQ.
Copy of your valid passport
You must submit a copy of your valid passport in the application. It must clearly show your personal data, including name, citizenship, and the photograph. A copy of your passport should be included in your CV as a last fourth page. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have a copy of your passport that can be used as part of the application.
The evaluation and selection process:
- Screening. Disqualifying all applicants who do not meet the eligibility criteria or that failed to submit a correct application.
- Evaluation before admissions. Evaluation and grading of all eligible applications.
- Evaluation after admissions. Final evaluation of applications that has been admitted to an eligible master’s programme.
- Compiling a shortlist of the best and most qualified candidates.
- Final selection. Scholarship recipients are selected, thus concluding the evaluation and selection process.
After the application deadline, we carry out a screening of all applications and disqualify those that do not meet the eligibility criteria for Global Professionals. If you have failed to follow the instructions for the required documents, such as incomplete application, wrong form, missing valid stamp, etc., then your application will also be disqualified. Reasons are given in the instructions in the forms and here on the website. Therefore, you should read through all available information carefully.
Evaluation before admissions
We will then go through all the eligible applications and evaluate all of the information provided in your applications. We then grade them with particular consideration for the aim and purpose of the scholarship programme. The quality of the application is crucial in our selection. We are looking for talented and active professionals with capability, a platform, and ambition to contribute to international development.
Evaluation after admissions
When the admission results for master’s studies are announced at universityadmissions.se on 9 April 2021 we will make a final evaluation of the applications that are still eligible for the scholarship.
Through the evaluation process described above, we then compile a shortlist of the best candidates. We will give priority to certain factors which you can read more about in the eligibilitycriteria section. However, we aim at having all genders represented as equally as possible in the final list of scholarship recipients. We also want to include as many of the eligible countries, and Swedish universities as possible, provided there is a sufficient number of quality applications. We also need to stay within our budget. We may make additional adjustments in the final selection to achieve the distribution we are aiming for. However, we do not have any quotas for specific countries, fields of study, Swedish universities, etc. and select the scholarship recipients.
When all of the above factors have been taken into consideration, the final selection of scholarship recipients will be completed.
Data protection and integrity
How to apply ( Application Process and Corresponding dates)
- Apply for up to four eligible master’s programmes at at universityadmissions.se by 15 January 2021.
- Once you have submitted your application to the master’s programme(s) at universityadmissions.se, you will get a personal application number consisting of eight digits. Save the number as you will need it when applying to Global Professionals. Your application will be disqualified if you type in the wrong number in the online application form.
- Submit your receipt of the application fee and the supporting documents required by University Admissions before the deadline on 1 February 2021. The fee is non-refundable.
Note: If you missed the deadlines or failed to follow the application procedure at University Admissions, you will not be eligible for a Global Professionals scholarship.
- After you have completed your application to a master’s programme, you can apply for an SI scholarship. See more information about the required documents and forms.
- Submit the required documents digitally through our online application portal. The portal is open from 8 to 18 February 2021. Access will be available on this page below during the application period.
Note: Due to the high volume of applications, the online application portal may be under heavy pressure at the end of the application period. We strongly urge all applicants not to wait until the last days to apply. No admission past deadline is accepted as the portal will be closed.
- By 9 April 2021, you will receive your notification of selection resultsfrom University Admissions. SI will receive the admission results, including your personal information directly from University Admissions. There are no scholarships available for late admissions.
- Only admitted applicants to one of the eligible master’s programmes by 9 April 2021, including those who are conditionally admitted, will be considered for an SI scholarship. If you have been conditionally admitted, you will have received information regarding what you need to do to finalise your admission. Those who are not admitted to an eligible master’s programme by this date or are only listed as reserves or are placed on the waiting list will not be considered for a Global Professionals scholarship.
Note: Please check the instructions on how to reply to University Admissions. Contact University Admissions directly if you have any questions.
- In the afternoon on 28 April 2021, the successful SI scholarship recipients of Global Professionals 2021/2022 are announced at si.se.
- Each recipient will then receive an official scholarship offer by email between 28 – 30 April The recipient is responsible for ensuring that the provided email address in the application is correct. The scholarship must then be accepted or declined by the deadline indicated in the offer.
Note: Due to a large number of applicants, only those who are offered a scholarship will be notified.
48 All the time, 1 To day